Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wading through the Waters

I am a little boggled by my initial forays onto Twitter. I have an account. I'm following 24 people, mostly educators. I read what they write- they post seemingly constantly. They write that they are leaving for the airport, about to go shopping, grading their students' papers. A few of them are "following" me although I'm not really posting anything but replies occasionally to other people's postings. Somehow, when I sit down to type in a little 140 character glimpse into what I'm doing or thinking, it doesn't seem like anything worth writing. Why would anyone care? These people don't know me - so why tell them what I'm doing?
I don't mean to seem like an introvert. Most people would not describe me that way. In fact, there are few things I like more than a good conversation. But I'm not sure I really get this need to tell everyone everything you're doing. Doesn't it take you out of the moment you are in? I thought I'd "tweet" about the inaugural address as I was listening to it - but then realized that I couldn't - and didn't want to separate my attention into the little compartments I would need to in order to do several things at once. A sign of my Digital Immigrant status?

I know that you have to invest yourself in any relationship in order to move it forward. But it seems like chipping away at a block of granite with a toothpick to try to get to know people by typing one sentence every once in a while. Perhaps that will change if I just lead with the behavior to see where it takes me. I'm not going to give up on it yet.

Certainly, I see the benefit of the forums and discussion boards developing on the Philadelphia Archdiocese elementary school teachers Ning site. Those posts are directly work related. I love to share ideas and talk about teaching related stuff. It's the general, three million different topics at once approach of Twitter that I find so hard to understand.

Hmmm... what shall I tweet now? ... heading out the door to go driving with my seventeen year old son..... (are you fascinated yet?) Stay tuned for later on when I wash the dishes and change into sweatpants!

No comments: